May 13, 2020/Fifth Wednesday in Easter
Dear Cathedral friends,
Gov. Holcomb has his ‘Back on Track’ plan to reopen Indiana. Mayor Hogsett has his plan for our city. Bishop Jennifer shared her plan this week. https://indydio.org/diocesan-reopening-plan-a-message-from-bishop-jennifer/ . Now, we need to prepare our CCC plan for approval.
The Bishop’s plan has certain public health criteria as the trigger for a reopening decision no earlier than mid-June. As we wait, we will be allowed to livestream from inside the church at the end of May. Look for that move on Pentecost weekend, the last weekend in May.
Some things are clear to me:
- We will worship faithfully. Virtual worship will continue for the foreseeable future, even if we decide to regather in the church.
- I know we can and will continue to sing in our homes. Neither God nor a coronavirus can stop our desire to sing. Science says singing is an excellent way to share the virus. Love says we’ll set aside what is most dear for the well-being of our neighbor.
- We will continue our ministries to the vulnerable in the wider community. The Sunday morning breakfast continues. Utilities Assistance is working with Helpline 211 for an on-line portal to resume that assistance.
- We will continue caring for one another. I also certain there are needs unspoken. Please don’t be afraid to reach out.
- The Cathedral is open, even as the building is closed. It is looking great as a deep Spring cleaning has been underway!
I know there are questions for which I do not have answers. Watch for town hall style Zoom meetings later in May. In the meantime, please, wash your hands, wear your mask, shelter-in-faith, even as shelter-in-place restrictions are being lifted. Questions? Comments? E-mail me here. Let us pray:
Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through these pandemic days, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (BCP, p. 133.)
The Very Rev. Mary Slenski
Dean & Rector (ai)